Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tutorial - Make your own Mist Sprays

Hello beautiful ladies! I have a really easy tutorial for you today. It all started about a month ago when I reached for my Glimmer Mist and realized I was almost out...Oh NO!! I went to my local SB store and they were sold out as well, and I had no patience to wait for some to be mailed to me. I had remembered hearing somewhere that you could create your own, this got me thinking...HOW?! So I researched it a bit and found so many different ways to do it. The problem was that I didn't have the inks they say to use, so I just did it my own way figuring it out as I went along. I would like to share with you a few tricks I have figured out.



The things you may need:

*Clean empty spray bottles
*paints/powders (I used some PearlX that I have had forever)/food coloring
*water

Start off by getting your desired amount of powder into your bottle. I was using the end of a crab pick that I had bent to work for what I needed. Hey - I was using what I had around! lol I used two 'spoon' fulls of gold.

Then I added water. I was using a medicine dropper, this made things so much easier - for me!

This is what it looks like after I shook it up.

And this is what it looked like after sprayed onto white cardstock. Notice the pretty shimmer!! Now on these examples I sprayed the mist really heavy to show the colors.


Another thing I played around with was making paint sprays. Just add water to your bottle and I added 4-5 dropplets..ok more like paint gobbs straight from the bottle. On some of my mists I have used just paint and it looks pretty, but if you want it to shimmer then add your powder in a like color.


This is what the brown paint looks like. I didn't add the PearlX powder to this one just to show you how a paint spray looks.



Try adding food coloring to your mister! It looks awesome! The color of your mist will depend on how much food coloring you add to your water. I typically add about 6 drops. I like my colors to be bright! Again you can add the powders to this, but it looks great as is.

Here is that the blue food coloring spray looks like. I also didn't add any PearlX powder to this...all Food Coloring!

Here is a little sample of the colors I made today using these techniques. So fun and versatile and I can make ANY color I need to go with my LO's!! Now that's exciting!!




Here are a few recent LO's that I have created using my homemade mist sprays!
Just look at what these babies can do :)




I hope you will give them a try and show off your work using your very own Homemade Mists!! We can't wait to see them!

2 comments:

caroline hancock said...

Wow i love them all going to need to buy some wee spray bottles me thinks and get to making
TFS

Laurie said...

Thank you so much for this tip! I live a fair distance from any LSS and I am a "frugal" scrapbooker so this is awesome! Plus I like being able to use the exact colour I want!


Blog Credit:
Graphics used on page are from digital scrapbooking kits Ladybird and Bee Love by Mag Designs. Blog arranged by Designs by Sarah using her Blog Design Service.